These Days

Abu sat on the hilltop tending his sheep. Life was peaceful here, away from all the hustle and bustle of the city and its 'people'. Sheep are more understandable. They feed on grass, shed wool and die when the need arises. Simple enough. 

'right Malika?' 
'mehhhhhhh'
Abu chuckles, 'you and me both my dear. You and me both' 
'meeehhhh' 
'yes, the isolation does get to you. But then I have you people. I can never infect you people yet, I can always have conversations like this without feeling like I'm running mad." 
The sheep grunts and Abu laughs heartily, his laughter ringing through the field.
'im not running mad malika. And I don't think I should go down there and kill his family for good measure. That's madness"
'mehh' 
'all he did was come to visit me and give me news of the people in the big city and their disease" 
The sheep continues to chew grass and Abu lays down beside it.
"He didn't know he'd give it to me. He didn't even know he was carrying it I guess"
"Mehhhh"
By now, more of the sheep had begun to gather round
"I don't think so. But either ways, we are in it together now-"
A distant rumble of engines cuts abu's narration as a medevac plane descends rapidly into the valley below. The company of man and sheep watch it careen into the valley below. Into the village below.
Abu sighs "oh I see..."
He sits on the grass once more. His sheep bleating around him. 
'yes...I guess it's just me and you people now'
He stares off into the surrounding countryside, all scorched on one side. the houses on the rest of the scenery echoed silence. Life was more peaceful that way. And like Ahmed said, these days peaceful is a good way to die.

Comments

Popular Posts