Kinslayer : Medea's Creed (Chapter 2)

 Medea...


...lights the last wick in the chambers setting the room aglow with a warm amber light. Fugard stares at the fire in the corner. She proceeds to draw his bath. "You really should desist from deep thought" she calls, jarring him from his trance.

"Medea, My dear. There exists no King who isn't given to contemplation"

"Given, Burden me with your troubles ,my liege" 

"Is the bath done?" 

"Almost, need to add a hint of cinnamon and garlic. Just how you like it"

"Oh Medea, you know how to give an old king a treat

"I am your oldest after all..."

A small frown crosses his face "still on about this matter eh?"

"You're not dying anytime soon. Why would you begin to entrust the state to those two toddlers?"

" because they are your brothers and one day you'll be under the control of another"

She scoffs "and that will stop me from being Queen?" She stares out the window. "This kingdom, this place. It's my birthright, my place. Am I to be denied simply because I'm a woman?"

"No, you are to be denied because you will be ruled by another. Medea, understand me. It is how it must be". Medea's emotions begin to swell.

" but father, then what would have been my reward? Tell me! Please! What would I have gained!?"

"A promise"

"A promise?"

"A promise, If you spawn a heir before my demise, I shall name him next in line to my throne and your brothers regents, till he comes of age."

"What?" 

"Medea, you are in no position to negotiate. What I do I do for you are favored"

She calms herself "yes father, thank you father"

"Now is that bath ready my dear?"

"Yes father"

Fugard steps into the tub. She retreats into the shadows of the room to contemplate her new fortune.

Comments

  1. This is honestly so beautiful. I loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this. Can't wait to read more of you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts