Ux Writing: Answering the “How Questions”


The transition from content to UX writing has been a worthwhile experience. During the first few weeks of my switch, I did research to educate myself on what UX writing is and how I can do a good job at it. 


Ux writing appears to be a meeting point between users and product designers. The primary purpose of UX writing is to ensure that users find it easy to use products. It guides users' interactions with products from the first click to the final transaction.


I've had to devise a few tricks to help me create UX-worthy copies, and this article will go over one of my favorites - the how questions.


How Do I Answer The “How Questions”?

When working on a brand's UX copy, there are a few questions I've learned to ask myself. These questions help with my documentation process and improve my understanding of the content direction I want to take. 


These are the questions I've had to answer repeatedly and how I've dealt with them:


  1. How do I properly represent this brand - This is a branding question. Writing UX copy/website copy necessitates paying attention to the tone and voice of the brand. If you are rewriting an existing copy, you must exercise extreme caution because you do not want to alter the existing voice that the audience is accustomed to. My trick for getting this right is to conduct audience research. I try to find out what tone appeals to the brand's target audience and what words they respond to. And I use it in my voice outlay to make multiple copies before deciding which one works best.


  1. How do I guide users - This “how” question has an invincible "without guiding the user." it is “how do I guide the users without guiding the users”. The goal of ux writing is to assist the audience in completing their interaction with the brand. However, you must not stand out while doing so, or users may feel manipulated. Using simple words that sound natural to your audience and understanding the flow of every possible interaction will help you get this right.


  1. How do I make this catchy - This has a lot to do with hero texts. For me, it's a hero text sub and an in-app onboarding page sub. I understand what this product does, but how do I persuade users of its benefits? This answers the question of simplicity and creating quality catchphrases to explain what the brand has to offer in the shortest and most precise way possible.


Perks Of The How Questions

Writing requires a lot of navigation for me. When I'm about to begin a project, I can clearly see the end goal - improving user experience. 


The real challenge is figuring out how to make copies that will help me do this. I still have the imposter syndrome, believing that I am not professional enough to create what I consider world-class copies. 

Using my "how" questions helps me move from simply visualising my end goal to devising the ideal plan to get there. 


In their simplicity, the How questions remind and ground my creative process while taking on projects, and they help me feel capable.


Comments

Popular Posts